The Eighth Month of the Year '14

3 September 2014

Until I started looking back on the month of August, I thought it was a quiet month for Jamie and I, however, we actually managed to fit a bunch of things into thirty-one days.
The sunset we drove into, on the way home from netball one Saturday afternoon

The things that continued from July into August was my study, my work, Jamie’s work, small group and our sport:

*As every job, Jamie and I are having ups and downs at work, but generally it is pretty good. One request we would both like to make though, is for the sunshine to not restrict itself to outside and seep indoors. Something tells me this isn’t possible (especially if your office has no windows!!) – we will just have to make the most of the warm weather when we can.

*Small group has been wonderful! We have started a new study about ‘community’. Over the past few weeks, I have learnt that we have some talented bakers amongst our friends… as well as learnt more about each member of our group through life stories and honesty. We are definitely learning, first hand, how important community is. Our small group also went to a movie fundraiser one night after work. We saw this movie, which I would recommend to others!

*Sport – Jamie is playing another season of basketball at a complex minutes down the road, with some church mates. He also played two football matches in a C grade team, which lit his passion to play footy again (maybe next season?). My netball seasons have continued with a Tuesday night mixed netball team and a Saturday women’s team. Stay tuned, as this Saturday I will be playing in the grand final! We attended two more AFL matches at Adelaide Oval. Oh, and we also bought the sport channels on foxtel – definitely for Jamie’s benefit more than mine but something I can get used to and don't mind having on in the background, while I cruise through my cross-stitch.



I was blessed to catch up with some of my closest friends over the past month on various occasions - some of the activities that we shared together were: eating Chinese, drinking my first ever mocha (the closest thing I've had to coffee) and falling in love, playing games, consuming the best eggs benedict I’ve ever had at this amazing café, styling a friends hair for a ball, enjoying a picnic in the company of a very friendly emu, browsing this store, beginning a new personal bible study, engaging in life changing, fun and encouraging conversations and feeling a friends baby kick!  I also found time, for down time with God at this café and this café, in the sunshine. Jamie got some boys time too, which included a weekend away at the Yorke Peninsula for a fishing trip. They caught a massive handful of squid and red mullet but forgot to bring them home. Jamie’s smile was enough proof that they had a ball though.


On the 17th of August, I got to spend a day with my parents. They arrived at my house in the morning and we drove into the city for lunch and a show! We saw Grease. I can not express how much I loved it. I think I smiled throughout the whole performance. It was so special to share the day with mum and dad and re-live the days I used to watch Grease on repeat.

Jamie and I went to the dentist. I probably wouldn’t share this with you except, for me, it was the first time I had been in six years (oops!) and miraculously had no issues. Same as Jamie.

August finished with a very special person's step-up to communion. Conveniently, Jamie and I were able to walk across the road to church and witness my beautiful cousin and god-daughter take the next step in her faith journey. We finished the night celebrating and spending time with relatives, over chocolate cake. God is so wonderful.  


What were some of your highlights from August?   

Looking forward to Septembers adventures!

1 comment:

  1. 'We are called to be strong companions and clear mirrors to one another, to seek those who reflect with compassion and a keen eye how we are doing, whether we seem centered or off course ... we need the nourishing company of others to create the circle needed for growth, freedom and healing'.
    This quote by Wayne Muller absolutely describes a great community and I pray God's blessings on you and your small group as you study God's word together.
    Re your love for sport I quote Muhammad Ali: 'Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision',
    so maybe footy next year?
    BJ and I also experienced live theatre in August - first time in MANY years. We saw 'The Last Confession' with David Suchet. We also visited several venues while the SALA (South Australian Living Artists) festival was running: so our artistic part of our brains has been awoken for a while.
    'Every day we live is a priceless gift of God, loaded with possibilities to learn something new, to gain fresh insight' [Dale Evans Rogers] and to see the love of God in the sunshine [MMK]
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete